|Constructed between 1827-29 by Captain Jose Maria de Estudillo, commander of the San Diego Presidio, La Casa de Estudillo is a wonderfully preserved representation of how an important 19th century family lived and worked.
The famous U-shaped house is constructed from dried mud adobe bricks, heavy wood beams, thatched roofing and sienna-hued clay-tiled floors. Gated doorways offer a glimpse into adobe rooms outfitted with authentic Spanish and Victorian furnishings, including heavy wooden dressers, beds and armoires, fine linens, silver and clayware.
A working kitchen is stocked with antique tools and utensils. A small, windowless room holding an altar bedecked with ornate gold-plated candelabras and crucifixes served as the family's chapel. Several of La Casa de Estudillo's rooms are purported to be haunted.
A lush garden of stately palm trees, flowering succulents, citrus trees and other desert-friendly foliage fill the walled courtyard surrounding the house. From the entrance, a winding path leads visitors around the house and through the grounds.
Casa de Estudillo was passed down through the Estudillo family until 1887, when it was turned over to a caretaker who sold off tiles, locks, doors and windows. The Estudillos sold the remains of the house in 1905 and in 1910, it was restored with funds donated by the Spreckels family.
Casa de Estudillo - Old Town
4001 Mason St.
San Diego, CA 92110
The Estudillo House is located at the Old Town San Diego State Historic Park, San Diego Avenue at Twiggs Street, San Diego.
Click here for map
Phone: (619) 220-5422