San diego desi Welcome Guest, please Sign in or Register
Home  |  Classifieds  |  Events  |  Discussions  |  Yellow Pages  |  Things to do  |  Articles  |  San Diego Desi Facebook page >>
Fancy Stop
 Discussions Home
 Family (1317)
 Fun (698)
 Health (90)
 Money/Markets (20)
 Movies (33)
 Other/General (1428)
 Philosophy (6)
 Politics (1)
 Programming (14)
 Shopping (39)
 Sports (157)
 Students (134)
 Technology (35)
 Travel (89)
 Women (425)

San Diego Desi  »  Discussion Board
5 Year Old Stopped Speaking Tamil
Category posted in Family
Posted by: laks
reply to this topicpost a new topic
  laks wrote on 2012-11-19 00:36:59
Hi all,

We've been speaking Tamil at home ever since she was born and she was speaking Tamil well too until she joined pre school early this year(when she was 4), she was still talking to us in Tamil and am not sure where things went wrong without us realizing she has been speaking to us back in English for sometime now. I know as strange as it may sound, we just never realized that she has not been answering us back in Tamil for sometime now. We were skyping with my parents last nite and she started answering them in English when they kept insisting answer in Tamil. I have not been able to digest this since last nite. What has been happening is that since we have been speaking to her n Tamil all these while n since she understands Tamil it just never clicked us that she is answering in English n not Tamil. It sounds so weird bt true! Last nite after the skype call, i asked her in Tamil, y didn't u answer tata, pati in tamil n she said " i forgot how to answer in Tamil" n i thought she is joking n asked her few questions n asked her to answer me back n she was struggling to find words n even to pronounce some words! I was devastated! i didn't know what to do..anyone with the same situation? what shall i do now? i've been asking her to reply in Tamil since morning n at times it works n at times i have to 'teach' again..
We r still continuing to speak in Tamil hoping that whatever that changed her in the last 3 mths will change her back. It took her abt 3 mths to totally stop speaking Tamil n i hope with my patience in a nother 3 mths she will start speaking again. Anyone in this situation?

khala wrote on 2013-01-11 19:54:33
Hi laks,

I was just reading your post and just hope that you keep working with her speaking Tamil. It often happens when children find kids their age who are different from themselves.
I believe you are doing right by speaking to her in Tamil. I have a couple friends who have to keep reinforcing the language at home. Their oldest son has started "remembering" again and now that he is older, is very thankful to know another language. They also keep reminding them that at home they speak Tamil because it is their native language and share stories about Tamil history. Personally I believe its working. They have a six year old girl that is so excited by the stories of her culture she repeats it. The only issue is she cant repeat it in English so, she repeats it in Tamil. In a way that is probably what is helping as well.

Good luck!

Reply to this topic below