San diego desi Welcome Guest, please Sign in or Register
Home  |  Classifieds  |  Events  |  Discussions  |  Yellow Pages  |  Things to do  |  Articles  |  San Diego Desi Facebook page >>
Fancy Stop
 Discussions Home
 Family (1317)
 Fun (698)
 Health (90)
 Money/Markets (20)
 Movies (33)
 Other/General (1428)
 Philosophy (6)
 Politics (1)
 Programming (14)
 Shopping (39)
 Sports (157)
 Students (134)
 Technology (35)
 Travel (89)
 Women (425)

San Diego Desi  »  Discussion Board
Hike Iron Mountain
Category posted in Fun
Posted by: rain226
reply to this topicpost a new topic
  rain226 wrote on 2011-09-09 19:14:27
Date: September 10th (Saturday)
Time: 8:00 AM (start at 8:15 AM)

Meeting place: Iron Mountain Trail Head, CA-67 and Poway Road, Poway, CA (map)

Meet in the parking lot
As always, I can be reached at rain226@msn.com. Let me know if you are coming (or not coming). We should be finishing around 11:30 AM and we can discuss if any or all of us want to get a quick lunch afterwards and where :-).

The hike: This is a 6-mile round trip hike with an elevation gain of about 1200 feet. After a half mile of more-or-less level hiking, we will ascend the north flank of Iron Mountain. On a clear day, you can see Mexico, Point Loma, San Clemente Island, Palomar Mtn., and Cuyamaca Mtn. In other words, more than half the county! If it's clear, you might want to bring binoculars.
This is an out-and-back hike. There are several satisfying turn around points, so even if you are not sure that you are up for the whole hike, you can hike partway and then turn around.
Needed: Good hiking or walking shoes are highly recommended.
Carry plenty of water, a snack, and a flashlight.
DIRECTIONS
1) From Rancho Bernardo Road and I-15: Head east; RB Road turns into Espola. When road ends, turn left (east) onto Poway Road. When it ends you are there.
or
2) You could simply take I-15 south to the Poway Road exit and then drive east till the road ends - you are there!!
or
3) Take I-15 to the Scripps-Poway Parkway / Mercy Road exit and then drive east til the road ends. Turn left and the parking lot is on the right at the first stoplight.
Parking is in the new trailhead parking lot at the intersection of Poway Road and CA-67.

am_eee wrote on 2011-09-14 02:08:11
I haven't hiked in a while, but, I like to hit torrey pines for runs and bike rides these days.

Reply to this topic below